11111111111111111111111111111111111

Search this website

Best Rolled Sugar Cookie Recipe

Hi Everyone!

Around this time of year, I round up my baking supplies and grab my boys to make memories in the kitchen. One of our favorites to bake are cut-out Sugar Cookies.  I searched the internet years ago and tested so many but 
finally came to the very best, and now a staple 
recipe this time of year.

The dough makes so much, it lasts all month long.  I bake only a little at a time, and freeze the unused dough, which is great for on the fly baking.

The key is to make sure you keep the dough thick when cutting, and roll out fresh from the freezer!

They are a sure fire hit when shared.




Below is the Recipe with tips on how to achieve non, thin, crisp cookies, unless that's your style.  

Original Source: Rolled Sugar Cookies


Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup of butter, softened
2 cups of white sugar
4 eggs, room temperature
2-3 teaspoon of vanilla
5 cups of all purpose white flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon of salt

Now, the recipe only called for 1 teaspoon of vanilla and I'm a terrible listener when it comes to vanilla, I have a very heavy pour; trust me, more is better. 


Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Chill Time:  1-12 hours
Cook Time: 5-8 Minutes

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees or 375 for convection
Here, at high altitude, convection is my preferred baking method

1.  In a large bowl, cream together softened butter and sugar until smooth.  Beat in eggs and vanilla. 

2.  In separate bowl mix dry ingredients.

3.  Add dry to wet ingredients. 
I used a Kitchen-Aid electric mixer.  Be advised when slowly adding your 5 cups of flour, it becomes tough for the machine to function so a little at a time. 

4.  Once fully mixed, prepare saran wrap in an x shape on your counter.  Scoop out and place wet dough down 
and form into a loaf.  Cover dough with saran wrap and chill in the freezer for 1 hour or overnight.


5.  Once chilled, remove from freezer and cut with a large knife the amount you wish to use.  I like to work with a little bit at a time.


6.  I've learned, for best results, use the dough totally frozen.  When working with your warm hands, it tends to soften.  Then roll out to 1/4 or 1/2 inch thickness.



7.  Once cut, bake for small amounts of time to desired consistency color of cookie. I start with 5 minutes.  You do not want brown edges so at about 6 minutes pull them out of the oven, and let sit on cookie sheet for 3 more minutes to prolong baking.  Once done, be careful, they break easily but that's the beauty of them.

So there you go...I surely hope you enjoy them as much as our family does. They are a hit all over the neighborhood.  





Happy Holidays!


Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner


      


This post was linked up at:
Pinworthy Projects Just us Four


Pin It

14 comments:

  1. We saw some fun Christmas cookie cutters at the store tonight and I thought what a fun idea! I need to make your recipe...love your apron and Im sure you looked as fabulous as always xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how sweet! If you make them, do share what you think?! I love cookie cutters for decorations! Right after anything snowman! :)

      Delete
  2. Awesome... you read my mind. I needed a good sugar cookie recipe! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Malia! You'll surely enjoy this, please do share how it turned out! Happy Baking.

      Delete
  3. Looks delish! Pretty similar to my sugar cookie recipe! What do you do for icing? Thanks for linking up to the Keep Calm and Link Up! Hope to see you back next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill for stopping by! I use tub frosting for my cookies. :)

      Delete
  4. This looks great, Hilani!! I have a great "cut out" sugar cookie recipe, that requires no refrigeration and is easy to mix up quick! It is from a professional cookie maker who was generous enough to share the recipe. Let me know if you are interested in it, and i will send it to you. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I'd love to try that recipe. You can email me @ handmadebyhilani@gmail.com thanks! :D

      Delete
  5. I love making sugar cookies. Thanks for the recipe...cannot wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These cookies look good!! I hope to makes some sugar cookies this year! Thanks for linking up at Romance on a dime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betsy! Sorry for the late reply, I'm fighting a cold and trying to keep up on my orders. :) Merry Christmas to you.

      Delete

I #heart comments a lot, it keeps my inspired. Thanks for stopping by and commenting....

ShareThis